NSA Saratoga Springs MWR Liberty, Community Rec, and Fitness encourage you to discover local landmarks and hikes of upstate New York thru our Virtual Outdoor Adventure Challenge. Challenge includes 20+ local areas in and around Saratoga Springs and the surrounding areas. Difficulty ranges vary depending on location. Perfect for the family or to complete on your own. Tasks are broken up into 3 categories: Historic/Hike/Outdoor Activity. The Virtual Outdoor Challenge begins Friday, September 25 and goes until Thursday, December 31. Tag us in your photos using #nsaadventure.
Proof of completion of the challenge can be sent to email@example.com.
Prizes will be based on completion in tiered levels:
Level 1 - completion of 2 items in each category
Level 2 - completion of 3 items in each category
Level 3 - completion of 4 items in each category
Level 1 - Fanny Pack and USAA Goodie Bag
Level 2 - Fanny Pack, USAA Goodie Bag plus Campfire Mug
Level 3 - Fanny Pack, USAA Goodie Bag, Campfire Mug, and $15 CRC Gift Card
First to finish all hikes - $50 gift card from USAA
First to visit all historic locations & museums - $50 gift card from USAA
First to complete all tasks - $100 gift card from USAA
If tasks are completed as a family, prize is per family.
- Historic Saratoga Battlefield, the battles fought here are known as the "Turning Point of the American Revolution.”
- Automobile Museum
- Hyde Museum
- New York State Museum
- Underground Railroad Education Center
- Visit Uncle Sam’s gravestone on Troy, NY
- Check out Grant Cottage where Ulyssess S. Grant finished his memoirs.
- Brookside Museum in Ballston Spa
- There is debate on who founded the game of baseball (Maybe Abner Doubleday from Ballston Spa?) but we can check out the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown.
- Hike the 5 mile loop at Saratoga Spa State Park (easy) and check out Geyser Spring.
- Sleeping Beauty (5 miles, moderate. Perfect for a sunset hike!)
- Black Mountain (2.5 miles, easy)
- Thomas Mountain (3 miles, moderate)
- Overlook Mountain (4.6 miles, moderate)
- Shelving Rock Trail (3.4 miles, moderate)
- Indian Head Trailhead ADK (7 miles, difficult)
- Go underground and check out Howe Caverns.
- Visit the shops and restaurants around the Lake George waterfront.
- Bike to Mechanicville via the Zim Smith Trail. Or check out the Warren County Bikeway, begins in downtown Glens Falls and continues north to Fort George Rd in Lake George.
- Spend a night or weekend camping. Camping equipment and pop-up campers can be rented from CRC.
- Try mountain biking! Bikes can be rented through the CRC.
- Go white-water rafting with Wild Waters Rafting. Tickets can be purchased through MWR. Season open till October 11th.
- Go apple picking and enjoy a warm hot cider.
- Pull out your skates for a day of ice skating at one of the local rinks or find a frozen pond.
- Find a pumpkin patch. Share your pumpkin carving with us!
- Go out for a day on the slopes. Ski/snowboard packages can be rented through CRC.
- Cross-country/Snowshoe at Saratoga Spa State Park (rent from CRC)
- Ice fish at Saratoga Lake or Moreau Lake State Park
- Check out the fall leaves changing while on the rail bikes of the North Creek Railway.
- After all these adventures, visit the Roosevelt baths and enjoy a mineral soak to relax those muscles.